To keep pace in the globalized world it’s mandatory for the organizations to streamline, according to the changing environment. Learning organization is those organizations which extensively involves in gaining knowledge and innovate, acquiring new technology to keep momentum in the competitive world.
Learning organization helps to provide employees training needs. Employees undergo various mental development training where they do brainstorm, critical thinking, learn to develop innovative ideas. Employees learn from their mistakes and spread the new learning which brings optimism in the working environment.
Motivation is the key ingredient to help an individual or an organization to grow and perform outstandingly. Learning organization takes this ingredient very seriously. This kind of organization boosts the qualities of its employees by giving a token of appreciation for his performance, which helps to develop his creativity and thinking. The employees are being. given training not only for the specific task to complete rather beyond that. So, that when in need they can be assigned to do some other tasks as well. This flexibility of the employees helps the organization release themselves from the bondage of a rigidly structured company.
Social capital is an essential factor for any organization to exist. Proficient interpersonal skill is the need for an employee to learn and communicate. A learning environment needs all these skills to make good relationships and connections.
Each company must become a learning organization. There are diverse views regarding learning organizations. The concept is not a new one. It flourished in the 1990s, introduced by Peter M. Senge. Dr. Senge is a senior lecturer of leadership and sustainability at MIT’s Sloan School. His book “The Fifth Discipline” describes a learning organization. He is the founding chairman of the Society of Organizational Learning continually expand their capacity to create the result which they desire where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free and where people are continually learning how to learn together.” According to him, 5 components play a very crucial role in LO which helps in pursuing desired goals which take organizations to new heights of achievements.
- Systems thinking: It is a structure to see patterns and inter-relationships. It looks like an issue as a part of the whole system.
- Personal mastery: It requires a personal vision to establish a picture of the future that one desires and also includes a commitment to truth.
- Mental models: It is required to understand the world which can affect an employee’s behavior
- Shared visions: This provides a solution to our desires to create and accomplish them. It has excellent execution as all the members of the organization pursue the same vision
- Team learning: It helps in achieving common objectives in an organization. There exist a commitment and effort from team members for achieving goals by sharing their knowledge and complementing each other’s skills.
Senge believed that “people don’t resist change; they resist being changed”. The people could help their firms face tolerance, involve open discussions, and think all-rounder and systemically. Every employee needs to think and act like a leader. Such learning gives the advantage of early identification of resources rather than losing it towards its competitors. The heart and soul of learning organizations lie in the creation of new results and new knowledge or insights by continuous learning. The employees should generate new innovative ideas and should carry them practically.